Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: 902-8b bug screens

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Russellc's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How uptight! That "magnet can S_U_C_K in there"

    Oh brother,
    Russellc

  2. #12
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    The 808's, 902T's, 908's, and some of the 902's had a loading cap on the rear of the diaphragm to increase power handling. It also decreased the upper harmonics - made them sound not as good.

    Prior to having Pascalite diaphragms, I either used the Symbiotik ones or the aluminum ones WITH the loading caps in professional installations where I wasn't DEAD SURE the owner's wouldn't blow them up from abuse. The Symbiotik's sounded WAY BETTER than most everyone else's drivers anyway, so it was a fair trade-off. I have always removed it and installed a damping material behind the diaphragm when sound quality was paramount, and I knew the system wouldn't be abused.

    Now that we have Pascalite diaphragms, I recommend removing the loading caps and installing the felt pad Altec used (or a hunk of fiberglas cut to fit) on the inside of the rear cover of ALL small-format Altec drivers, whether you use the Pascalite diaphragms or not.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Todd --
    when you say All small format Altec drivers, you don't mean 802G,s; do you?

    clarification please......

    pretty please....

  4. #14
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes - I use the felt pad and the exposed diaphragm for ALL of the small Altec drivers now, regardless of diaphragm type (I no longer use Symbiotik diaphragms - only aluminium and Pascalite).

  5. #15
    Inactive Member dBu211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2005
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Todd,

    You've got mail. Please reply...

    Tks...

    Khiew

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    As was mentioned, the bug screen is just glued to the gasket on the 902 series drivers. If you are carefull, you can remove it w/o destroying it.

    I believe the drivers sound much better w/o it. Maybe not tremendously more extended, but it removes the "phasey" sound produced by the horns when you move your head around.

    Try this if you can, play some pink noise and listen from the sweet spot. Move your head back and forth....maybe a foot or more. Or just walk around the room. You will hear the dips and peaks in the HF response. The screen acts as a diffuser, how can't it?
    Remove the screens, and it largly goes away.

    I have removed them from all my HF drivers, even my duplexes, and I like the improvement.

    YMMV though......

    BTW.....new gaskets can be made from thick cardboard, sissors and an exacto knife.

    Ron

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Datubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does this go for 604's as well?

    Originally posted by Todd W. White:
    The 808's, 902T's, 908's, and some of the 902's had a loading cap on the rear of the diaphragm to increase power handling. It also decreased the upper harmonics - made them sound not as good.

    Prior to having Pascalite diaphragms, I either used the Symbiotik ones or the aluminum ones WITH the loading caps in professional installations where I wasn't DEAD SURE the owner's wouldn't blow them up from abuse. The Symbiotik's sounded WAY BETTER than most everyone else's drivers anyway, so it was a fair trade-off. I have always removed it and installed a damping material behind the diaphragm when sound quality was paramount, and I knew the system wouldn't be abused.

    Now that we have Pascalite diaphragms, I recommend removing the loading caps and installing the felt pad Altec used (or a hunk of fiberglas cut to fit) on the inside of the rear cover of ALL small-format Altec drivers, whether you use the Pascalite diaphragms or not.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  8. #18
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, with the possible exception of the 604E. Jerry Hubbard says the "E" sounds better WITH the loading cap, and I tend to agree.

    Can't remember if the "G" or the "H" had them, though...

  9. #19
    Inactive Member billfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The 604G has the loading cap and I feel it sounds better without it while using the felt cover lining Todd mentioned. Smoothed out the hot upper midrange a bit without hurting treble extension.

    If hi-power SS is not your cuppa (I use low power tubes), this is a reversible mod definitely worth trying.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ August 07, 2005 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.